- New Cards
- College, Junior College, and Boarding Student
- Business Cards
- Juvenile Cards
- Visitor and Temporary Cards
- Card Renewals
A. The JCLC library card is honored at any public library in Jefferson
County. However, some electronic resources may not be accessible from outside
the library or in other areas depending on licensing agreements.
B. Identification is needed for obtaining new, replacement, and renewed
1. Proper identification includes state-issued picture identification and a
form of address verification.
2. If patrons have no picture ID, alternate forms of ID may be acceptable.
C. Cards expire one year from issuance or renewal. Exceptions to this would
include students and persons in shelters or temporary housing.
D. Signatures on library cards are optional.
E. Applications are to be filled out at the library in view of staff. "WILD"
cards and "License to Read" program applications are exceptions.
II. New Cards
A. New (first-time) membership cards are available at no charge to residents
of Jefferson County and citizens of municipalities with libraries in the
B. Any resident of the state of Alabama may purchase an out-of-county library
card by visiting any member library and presenting proper identification. An
annual nonrefundable fee of $50.00 is charged for an out-of county card.
C. Waiving of nonresident fees is a local decision to be made by the library
board of each municipality.
1. Libraries may waive part of the fee for persons who work
in the respective library's city or who pay taxes in the city.
III. College, Junior College, and Boarding
A. A college or junior college student may use a current student ID card to
apply for a library card. Proof of address must be presented.
B. The student must live on campus, and the campus must be in Jefferson
County. Proof of residency is required.
C. Boarding students at the Alabama School of Fine Arts must supply a
notarized letter from the school.
D. The expiration date for students' library cards will be August 31.
E. The student's campus address will be used as the mailing address.
F. The student's home address will be used as the secondary address.
IV. Business Cards
A. Business cards are issued at no charge to businesses or agencies in
B. Businesses that are located outside of Jefferson County will be required
to pay the annual, nonresident fee of $50.00
C. Documentation for business memberships must include the following:
1. A request for a business membership must be presented in writing on
2. The presiding officer of the company must sign the request.
3. A business application must be completed.
4. The completed application must contain the names of the four (4) persons
authorized to use the card. Whenever there is a change among these four (4)
persons, a new letter is required.
5. This process must be followed to renew the card. Card must be renewed like individual records.
V. Juvenile Cards
A. Juvenile library cards are issued under the following circumstances:
1. Patrons under the age of 15 must have a parent or legal guardian present
with a government-issued ID (passport, driver's license) and verification of
current address in order to obtain card.
2. Patrons under the age of 18 who do not have their own government-issued
ID, must have a parent or legal guardian present with a government-issued ID
(passport, driver's license) and verification of current address in order to
obtain a library card.
3. Patrons 15 or older who have their own government-issued ID and
verification of current address may obtain a library card.
4. The child must be present in order for a card to be issued in the child's
B. Juvenile records must be entered into the system with the following
1. The DL Field must have the parent or guardian driver's license number,
followed by the state abbreviation.
2. The PARENTGARD field must show the relationship of the adult to the child
and the name on the driver's license.
VI. Visitor, Temporary, and eCards
A. Visitors from out of state may check out materials. To check out material,
a visitor must make a cash deposit equal to the retail value of all material
being checked out. Certain municipalities may make exceptions to this rule.
B. Residents in temporary shelters are limited in the number of items and
type of materials that can be checked out, and by expiration dates. Expiration
dates should be no more than the time specified in a letter from the shelter
C. An online application is
available to apply for an eCard. This card is for the temporary use of the
Cooperative's online resources. It is valid for one month. After one month, the
patron must come in and follow the procedures to receive a full-service card.
These cards are limited to residents of the state of Alabama.
VII. Card Renewals
A. All libraries must update any county resident's JCLC card.
B. Fines and other application problems must be cleared before a card can be
C. PCODEs must match zip codes and PTYPE must match residency.
D. The patron's information must be verified and updated at renewal (and at
other times when the patron record is accessed).
E. Out-of-County card holders must pay an annual,
nonrefundable library card fee of $50.00. They must be a resident of the state